The Data Innovation Specialist/Actuary, under limited supervision, works with the Head of Data and Strategic Analytics - Asian Markets to support business units in generating data insights and other data related strategic initiatives. The Data Innovation Specialist/Actuary analyzes business/functional requirements and establishes processes related to the acquisition, onboarding, and management of internal and external data for data-driven initiatives. The incumbent also assists in the evaluation of business requests to determine requirements, recommend analytic solutions, and communicate the value of data solutions to the enterprise. Responsibilities
- Support key initiatives and work with project teams where appropriate via:
o Analyzing data needs in support of key strategic initiatives
o Facilitating and educating business units about current data assets
o Helping develop data strategy plans to acquire new data assets
o Working with technical specialists to develop and commercialize data algorithms
- Analyze existing and new data sources in support of expanding and improving the data driven culture.
- Assist to develop, validate, document, and maintain business and functional requirements and process workflows associated with new data solutions with business and project team members.
- Build business case templates to support department and organizational decision-making for future use cases and data based solutions.
- Create meaningful data visualizations that effectively articulate insights and the value of data assets to colleagues and executives.
- Respond to questions from business and IT teams.
- Assist in evaluation of and tracking of new or enhanced solutions to determine potential issues and communicate how problems may affect business and recommend solutions.
- Assist in performing task automation and implement process improvements; recommend enhancements that result in increased quality and service.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, computer science, information science or related field
- Strong knowledge of actuarial concepts and principles, such as that obtained by being a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries or equivalent
- 6+ years reporting/advanced analytic/business intelligence related experience, such as Business Analysis, Data Analysis, Statistical Analysis etc.
- Ability to be flexible when needed, take initiative, and demonstrate accountability
- Strong oral and written communication skills demonstrating ability to share and impart knowledge, and to explain complex information to a range of customers to build consensus
- Ability to quickly adapt to new methods, work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Intermediate investigative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Intermediate interpersonal skills
- Ability to set goals and handle multiple tasks, clients, and projects simultaneously; ability to appropriately balance priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Ability to work well within a team environment, lead and participate in department/team projects
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Ability to foster customer service as needed
- Ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions, demonstrate complex problem-solving creativity
- Exercise judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Intermediate negotiating and persuasion skills
- General business knowledge
- Intermediate data analysis skills
- Advanced PowerPoint skills, advanced Excel skills
- 6+ years Life and Health Insurance industry knowledge including working with a wide range of insurance professionals
- Intermediate SQL skills
- Experience with Tableau or similar data visualization tools
- Experience with R and/or Python
- Experience with building/interpreting predictive models
- Asian language skills e.g. Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean etc.